Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Are you Fit Enough to Receive Referrals?

How many times have you spoken with someone at a networking event but you left not understanding what they did in their business or how you could help them?

Recently, I received an online message from an Ecademy contact who was asking for my help. So I thought. He explained that his business idea to me. He was looking for motivated people to help in this great dream he had. I praised him for his enthusiasm. Then I asked what was in it for these motivated people to get involved in his project. In other words, how would they benefit from working with him?

Unfortunately, this particular person was unable to answer this simple question. In fact, he even found it offensive that I should ask such a searching question! Tell me if I am wrong, but before I buy into someone else’s dream and become a stakeholder, I want to know how I can create value for this person AND how I can gain value too.

He doesn’t get it. Building a referral business is about knowing and understanding how you can add value to someone’s business. This involves asking questions and finding out more.

Think about you approach to business. Are you fit enough to receive referrals?

It is so much easier to generate referrals if you know how you can add value to someone’s life or business. A few months ago a member of a local BRE (Business Referral Exchange) chapter asked for a referral to get introduced to Richard Branson. She actually got four referrals for people who can knew him well. However, she never got any introductions because she was unable to give Branson a compelling enough reason to see her. There was nothing in it for him.

Here’s the tip of the day for you. Ask yourself:
  • What compelling reason does someone have to meet me?
  • What’s in it for them?
  • How can I communicate this verbally in 30 seconds or less?

Building a referral-centred business through networking is about creating value for others. It is not about getting personal therapy or being pampered no matter how mediocre your business. If you want to feel loved , get a dog!

Want to find out more about how you can boost your business referrals, then why not book yourself for the Referral Sales Summit on Tuesday 27th June 2006 in Birmingham, UK?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home